Since I invested in my one true love, my Topshop velvet dress, velvet has become my absolute favourite material to look for in clothing at the moment. There's something about it that just completely draws me to it, whether its the lovely texture (when stroked the right way...) or subtle way it catches light at different angles, I just think its gorgeous.
However, it is quite a brave trend to try and pull off so I thought I'd investigate through the experts on Lookbook to see how they wear it without looking like either Mortitia Adams or a crazy music teacher.
- The one quite obvious fact is that there should be one item, and one item only of velvet in any outfit (duh). Anything more would be quite truly hideous.
- Dark colours seem to work the best, such as wine red, jungle green or midnight blue.
- Subtle accents of velvet like the bow tie work just as well as statement pieces of clothing.
- It's super easy to edge up with bold chunky jewellery, band tshirts and dirty denim.
- Or on the other hand, it's just as simple to girly it up with pale floral prints or lace collars
My favourite is the second baggy navy smock, so bohemian and effortless.
Would you try velvet or is it TOO weird? Which of the looks do you like best?